Do you want to try using the ModelDR desktop data point modelling and design tool?
This page describes how you can use ModelDR in real world examples.
Step 1: Chose data your would like to untangle)
1) Relational databases to Data Point Model form
Shows an example where a relational database table has been harvested from a real world application and reverse engineering into a Data Point Model. You can run this process for yourself on your own database.
The database used in the example is OpenGamma, the open source sell side system. www.opengamma.com/
2) Spreadsheets to Data Point Model form
Spreadsheets are core to many businesses process. But compliance, control, quality and consistency are big problems.
Use this model to test the process of converting spreadsheets to Data Point Model form. Discover a robust process for harvesting your firms hidden data.
3) FIBO and ontology usage in Data Point Model form
The Finance Industry Business Ontology (FIBO) provides globally accepted definitions of finance terms. www.edmcouncil.org/financialbusiness. It standardized and removes ambiguity across many domains.
By mapping your own data to FIBO you can identify duplications, inconsistencies and an inaccuracies. This model comes with the FIBO loaded ready to you to apply to your own data.
4) US GAAP in Data Point Model form
US GAAP has over 11,000 terms. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_Accepted_Accounting_Principles
Each of them is related to the others in some way. Mapping your internal data to US GAAP is massively simplified with this Data Point Model view.
5) COREP and FINREP in Data Point Model form
The European Banking Authority (EBA) Common Reporting Framework (COREP) and Financial Reporting Framework (FINEP) are large and complex. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Banking_Authority
This model of them in Data Point Model form enables you to manage that complexity. Why not try combining these models with FIBO and your in-house data structures?
6) Data Quality measurement
Data Quality measures, as defined by BCBS239 (www.bis.org/publ/bcbs239.pdf) and the EDM Council for example, is much more than validation rules over production data. Included are timeliness, completeness, duplication and other soft measures.
This Data Point Model of data quality enables you to wire these soft data quality measures into your in-house data.
Step 2: Install ModelDR Desktop Design tool
- Get a user id and password to the model server by emailing us.
- Get a copy of the ModelDR plugin by emailing us.
- Download and install a copy of Magicdraw UML tool, including installing the temporary license.
- Install the plugin using the instructions you will receive.
- From the Collaboration menu open the model you would like to explore.
- Contact us for a walkthrough of the model and how you can exploit it.